All reviews end with a number of stars out of five. Here’s what these approximately mean:
1 out of 5 stars–This is insanely, infinitely bad. Save yourself and stay away from it!
2 out of 5 stars–meh
3 out of 5 stars–Average. I didn’t hate it and didn’t love it. You might love it or hate it. Use your own discretion.
4 out of 5 stars–I really liked this a lot.
5 out of 5 stars–ZOMG I LOVED THIS!
Product Review Requests:
I am pleased to accept products for review if it is something that I know I will use. Obviously this is more difficult to pin down in a policies page, so please feel free to contact me at opinionsofawolf[at]gmail[dot]com with your product information, and I will get back to you with a yes or no as soon as possible. My previous product reviews may be found here and here.
Thank you for your interest!
Book Review Requests:
I am closed to review requests at this time! Please note, I am only open to review requests once a year. In November and December, I accept requests. In January, I announce what I have accepted to read and review in that year. So if you submit in December 2014, I’ll announce that I accepted in January 2015 and be done reading/reviewing your book by the end of 2015, barring unforeseen circumstances. If you are interested in submitting to me, I recommend making a note in your calendar and submitting in November/December. All requests received at other times will be automatically deleted and the sender blocked.
I only accept review requests from indie authors! Indie authors are defined (by me) as self-published or backed by a small, independent publishing house. I believe in, and am a big supporter of, putting the power of the written word back in the hands of authors and readers. Plus, as an indie author myself, it’s good karma. ;-)
The exceptions to this rule are: 1) if you are a non-indie author or publisher and your book is on my wishlist or in a series I am actively reading, please feel free to offer it up to me and 2) books I request myself, either via contacting you or via NetGalley.
Formats I accept:
- kindle compatible ebooks of any type EXCEPT pdfs
- print books
Genres I prefer:
- especially zombies and the occult
- especially: post-apocalyptic, dystopian, robots/ai, cyberpunk, and space exploration
- Paranormal romance
- Urban fantasy
- Detective/film noir
- Cozies (but no sewing, knitting, or crocheting)
- Thrillers (but not political thrillers)
- Historical fiction with a focus on women’s history
- Nonfiction ONLY in the following categories:
- health and fitness (nothing paleo or crossfit)
- history (all kinds)
- vegetarian and vegan cookbooks
- Graphic novels in any of the above listed genres (MUST be a print book)
- GLBTQ in any of the above listed genres
Genres I will always say no to:
- Christian/religious/inspirational fiction
- Religious nonfiction
- Chick lit
- Women’s lit
- Fantasy set in a medieval European setting
- YA/NA (fiction and nonfiction)
- Children’s literature (fiction and nonfiction)
- Anything homophobic/biphobic/transphobic
- Political thrillers
- Short story collections
- Graphic novels in ebook format. I only read these in print.
If you feel your book might be a good match for me, please email me at
All of my reviews of review copies are cross-posted to GoodReads, LibraryThing, and Amazon, although the Amazon posts come in spurts as I have the spare time to do them. Due to Smashwords’s policy that one must have bought the book there in order to review it, I can only cross-post my reviews there if a Smashwords coupon code was provided along with the review copy.
Further note, please understand that my readers have come to trust me for my honest reviews. If you don’t want to risk getting a 1 or 2 star review, don’t send to me, as I’m not afraid of giving them where I feel they are warranted. For examples of 1 star reviews, see here, here, and here. For examples of 2 star reviews, see here, here, and here.
Thank you for your interest!