All reviews end with a number of stars out of five. Here’s what these approximately mean:
1 out of 5 stars–This is insanely, infinitely bad. Save yourself and stay away from it!
2 out of 5 stars–meh
3 out of 5 stars–Average. I didn’t hate it and didn’t love it. You might love it or hate it. Use your own discretion.
4 out of 5 stars–I really liked this a lot.
5 out of 5 stars–ZOMG I LOVED THIS!
Product Review Requests:
I am pleased to accept products for review if it is something that I know I will use. Obviously this is more difficult to pin down in a policies page, so please feel free to contact me at opinionsofawolf[at]gmail[dot]com with your product information, and I will get back to you with a yes or no as soon as possible. My previous product reviews may be found here and here. Please note that I have a much better camera now than I did at the time when I wrote those reviews.
Thank you for your interest!
Book Review Requests:
I am open to review requests now through December 31st for books to be reviewed in 2015!
This is how the review request process works on Opinions of a Wolf:
- You read this page thoroughly to determine if your book is potentially a good match for me.
- If it is, fill out the submission form. I do NOT accept submissions via comments or emails.
- Between January 1st and 7th, I go over the submissions and determine which ones I will accept. I will accept no more than 6 to prevent overloading myself.
- Between January 8th and 10th, I send out acceptance emails to all the accepted authors/publishers.
- By January 17th, accepted authors/publishers reply to this email either with a copy of the ebook or confirmation that they have sent out the print book to me. If I do not hear back from accepted authors/publishers by January 17th, the opportunity will be passed on to another author/publisher.
- On January 24th, I will write a post right here announcing the books I have accepted for review. This means that if you are accepted for review, you have the potential for three instances of publicity: 1) the announcement 2) the review 3) a giveaway (if you request one AND your book receives 3 stars or more in the review). You may view 2014’s announcement post here.
I only accept review requests from indie authors! Indie authors are defined (by me) as self-published or backed by a small, independent publishing house. I believe in, and am a big supporter of, putting the power of the written word back in the hands of authors and readers. Plus, as an indie author myself, it’s good karma. ;-)
The exceptions to this rule are: 1) if you are a non-indie author or publisher and your book is on my wishlist or in a series I am actively reading, please feel free to offer it up to me and 2) books I request myself, either via contacting you or via NetGalley.
I am particularly interested in books by GLBTQA and/or women authors.
Formats I accept:
- kindle compatible ebooks of any type EXCEPT pdfs
- print books
Genres I prefer:
- especially the occult
- especially: post-apocalyptic, dystopian, robots/ai, cyberpunk, and space exploration
- Paranormal or western romance
- Urban fantasy
- Detective/film noir
- Cozies (but no sewing, knitting, or crocheting)
- Thrillers (but not political thrillers)
- Historical fiction with a focus on women’s history
- Nonfiction ONLY in the following categories:
- health and fitness (nothing paleo or crossfit)
- history (all kinds)
- vegetarian and vegan cookbooks
- Graphic novels in any of the above listed genres (MUST be a print book)
- GLBTQA in any of the above listed genres
Genres I will always say no to:
- Christian/religious/inspirational fiction and nonfiction
- Chick lit/women’s lit
- Fantasy set in a medieval European setting
- YA/NA (fiction and nonfiction)
- Children’s literature (fiction and nonfiction)
- Anything homophobic/biphobic/transphobic
- Political thrillers
- Short story collections
- Graphic novels in ebook format. I only read these in print.
All of my reviews of review copies are cross-posted to GoodReads, LibraryThing, and Amazon, although the Amazon posts come in spurts as I have the spare time to do them. Due to Smashwords’s policy that one must have bought the book there in order to review it, I can only cross-post my reviews there if a Smashwords coupon code was provided along with the review copy.
Further note, please understand that my readers have come to trust me for my honest reviews. If you don’t want to risk getting a 1 or 2 star review, don’t send to me, as I’m not afraid of giving them where I feel they are warranted. For examples of 1 star reviews, see here, here, and here. For examples of 2 star reviews, see here, here, and here.
If you believe your book might be a good match for me, fill out the submission form.
Thank you for your interest!